At this time it is undetermined when the next Ocean for Life field study will take place. If you are interested in contributing to this life-changing program for teenagers, please visit the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation's website for sponsorship.
To apply, each student must:
- be an incoming 9th - 12th grade high school student in the current school year (aged 14-18). Note that seniors in the current school year do not qualify;
- be proficient in the English language;
- be able to swim; and
- be willing to participate in future program aspects.
- participate in an immersive field study in one of America's national marine sanctuaries;
- learn about the interconnectedness of the world's ocean and how their local actions impact the ocean no matter where they live;
- build relationships with peers from different countries and cultures, and gain a better understanding of their similarities and differences;
- be immersed in classroom, lab, and field activities that raise awareness of the natural world and their connection to it, and how it connects them to each other;
- gain a better understanding of the scientific process and a deeper understanding of marine sciences; and
- work with mentors to learn how to use still and video cameras to document their field experience and develop "youth media projects" to share with schools and local communities.
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
Claire Fackler, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries