The next proposed Ocean for Life field study will take place during summer 2015.
Proposed Calendar for 2015 Student Selection
Pre-applications available online: December 5, 2014
Pre-applications due: January 18, 2015
Top tier students notified to submit full application: February 27, 2015
Full application due: March 22, 2015
Final student selection: April 7, 2015
Field Study: Summer 2015 (exact dates TBD)
*Students from Middle Eastern countries will be selected through a similar process administered by The GLOBE Program available to countries in the Near East North Africa region.
*Full funding to support the Ocean for Life program is still pending.
To apply, each student must:
- be an incoming 9th - 12th grade high school student in the current school year (aged 14-18). Note that seniors in the current school year do not qualify;
- be proficient in the English language;
- be able to swim; and
- be willing to participate in future program aspects.
- participate in an immersive field study in one of America's national marine sanctuaries;
- learn about the interconnectedness of the world's ocean and how their local actions impact the ocean no matter where they live;
- build relationships with peers from different countries and cultures, and gain a better understanding of their similarities and differences;
- be immersed in classroom, lab, and field activities that raise awareness of the natural world and their connection to it, and how it connects them to each other;
- gain a better understanding of the scientific process and a deeper understanding of marine sciences; and
- work with mentors to learn how to use still and video cameras to document their field experience and develop "youth media projects" to share with schools and local communities.
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
Claire Fackler, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries