Calling all Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassadors!
The application period for 2023 closed on January 6, 2023. The next application period will open in October 2023.
Are you a youth passionate about the ocean and the natural environment? Are you looking for a way to develop the skills you need to engage in conservation opportunities? Do you want to connect with like-minded youth and become an environmental leader in your community? Apply to the new NOAA Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador Program!
The NOAA Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador program provides a new level of engagement for youth aged 12-18 committed to ocean conservation and stewardship of our blue planet. We are looking for enthusiastic youth with new ideas and a unique perspective to learn more about America’s underwater treasures and to share their passion with others. Together we can make a difference in the conservation of the ocean through marine protected areas, and enhanced ocean and climate literacy.
Young people from across the United States can apply to become a NOAA Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador, and if accepted, you gain access to toolkits, presentations, opportunities, and guidance from NOAA scientists, science communicators, and other experts. Apply to become a member of a nationwide network of youth ambassadors to share ideas, experiences, and support for your ocean conservation and stewardship efforts.
We’re always looking for environmental leaders who can learn more about these important issues and how they can help solve them, as well as share their voice with their family, friends, and others in their community. We aim to increase ocean and climate literacy and conservation through national marine sanctuaries with the vision of an ocean and climate literate public making informed environmental decisions. If you think you’ve got what it takes, apply today. #OceanGuardianYouth
What is the Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador Program?
National marine sanctuary education and outreach efforts link communities through innovative programs and help spread awareness of the ocean's connection to all of us. We involve communities in their sanctuaries through a variety of methods, including advisory councils, public meetings, volunteer opportunities, education and outreach events, and now, through the NOAA Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador Program.
The NOAA Ocean Guardian Youth Ambassador Program will allow the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries to…
- Cultivate, connect, and activate youth changemakers
- Support a thriving sanctuary system to protect our nation’s underwater treasures
- Inspire momentum for a healthy ocean amongst the next generation
What is an Ambassador’s role?
- Attend quarterly webinars to learn about the National Marine Sanctuary System, projects, and opportunities for engagement
- Lead a project in your own community to support the environment and ocean conservation. Examples include, but are not limited to: beach cleanups, upcycling workshops, reducing single-use plastics in local restaurants and schools, treeplanting, and starting a school environmental club. Get creative!
- Track your progress in engagement, community projects, and involvement as an Ambassador
- Check and respond to emails in a timely manner
- Share your knowledge and skills as an Ambassador with your peers and community
What will you be able to accomplish?
- Develop tactical skills, including time management, leadership, and team-building
- Build your knowledge of the NOAA, marine protected areas, marine ecosystems, and environmental problems
- Engage in current ocean conservation efforts happening in the United States
- Support ocean and climate literacy programs
- Strengthen new interests in this field
- Receive mentorship support from a specific area of interest
- Build lasting relationships with fellow Ambassadors
Application Period is Closed
The deadline to apply was January 6, 2023. The next application period will open in October 2023.
Have any questions? Feel free to reach out to us by sending an email to email@example.com.