Join us and Celebrate Spectacular by sharing a graphic below!
We are turning 50— and we look good for our age!
Celebrate our 50th anniversary with us on social media. Download this animation and tell us how you feel connected to national marine sanctuaries. Don't forget to use #SaveSpectacular in your posts and tag @noaasanctuaries on Instagram, @sanctuaries on Twitter, and NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries on Facebook.
If you are a federal, state, local, or non-governmental organization whose audiences are interested in marine conservation, recreation and tourism, research and discovery, maritime and cultural heritage, and/or educational opportunities, we have some great images and messages you can share throughout this year-long anniversary campaign in the partner social media kit below. Thanks for helping us spread the word!
As we look toward the future, we fully embrace our responsibility to save these spectacular places and ensure the National Marine Sanctuary System remains a source of pride and enjoyment for all Americans. Help us #SaveSpectacular!
During the campaign, we will follow five focused themes highlighting various aspects of the national marine sanctuary system.
- Celebrate Spectacular: From this October through December, we’ll kick off our 50th celebration and emphasize the history and accomplishments of the sanctuary system over the last 50 years.
- Discover Spectacular: From January to March we’ll start the new year with a focus on the diversity of education and outreach programs developed and delivered by sanctuaries and our partners throughout the system.
- Explore Spectacular: From April to June we’ll dive into our sanctuaries and focus on how exploration and research help us understand and manage threats to sanctuary resources.
- Enjoy Spectacular: From July to September, we’ll embark on our “Get Into Your Sanctuary” campaign throughout the sanctuary system by promoting responsible recreation, tourism, and stewardship, and explore the various ways in which people build personal connections to these special places.
- Save Spectacular: From October to December we’ll conclude the 50th celebration by inviting people to share why sanctuaries are special places and should be conserved for future generations, celebrating our 50th anniversary in late October 2022, and launching a new strategic vision for the system.
Questions? Reach out to Sanctuaries@NOAA.gov.
Flower Garden Banks
Photo: Stan Schone
Photo: Michael Beattie
Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale
Mallows Bay-Potomac River
Photo: Douglas Croft
Photo: Bryan Dort