Constituent and Legislative Affairs Volunteer Internship
Not accepting interns at this time.
We invite you to join a dedicated and enthusiastic communications team at NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries (OMNS) where you will gain invaluable resume-building experience and an insider’s perspective on the nation’s leader in ocean conservation and management. As a volunteer intern, you will work on a variety of projects focusing on media outreach and public engagement. While based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland (easily accessible on the Metro Red Line) outside of Washington, DC, you will be encouraged to attend marine conservation events, lectures, conferences and receptions that provide fantastic networking opportunities for your career development.
OMNS conducts outreach with members of Congress and constituent groups on key issues, such as marine conservation, education and recreation opportunities, and maritime heritage. We are looking for motivated, self-starters who enjoy both independent and collaborative work in an office setting. The ideal candidate for this volunteer position will possess a strong academic background and the desire to immerse oneself in the world of marine communications and the internal workings of a federal office. Volunteer interns will be expected to work a minimum of 20 hours/week. Volunteer internships may count towards course credit.
- Assist in preparations for events and meetings with key ONMS constituents, attend these meetings and events, take notes and assist in preparation of briefing materials
- Assist in preparation for, and execution of, congressional outreach events such as Capitol Hill Ocean Week, held in cooperation with the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation (June) and "Get Into Your Sanctuary" days (August)
- Prepare monthly constituent newsletter for email distribution
- Research key members of Congress and constituent groups and write/update biographical profiles for ONMS staff reference
- Track progress of key legislation and attend related hearings
- Assist in preparation and/or revision of ONMS briefing documents as well as annual reports summarizing accomplishments for sites across the National Marine Sanctuary System
- Interest or experience in marine policy and communications
- Excellent writing skills with attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and social skills
- Fluency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint